What should you do when you leave the company.


When you leave the company, you must turn in a ” Notification of the affiliated (activity) organization” to the Immigration Bureau within 14 days of retirement.

When you get a job at new company, you must submit it as well.


You can download ” Notification of the affiliated (activity) organization “from the immigration website.


When you left the company



When you joined a new company



When you changed the company




If you have not got a job or job hunting for more than 3 months after leaving the company, you would be eligible for ” Revocation of the Status of Residence”.

Because Work VISA such as “technology, humanities knowledge, and international work” is VISA for working in Japan, so if you do not work for a long time, you would be considered that you are ineligible for the VISA.

For the same reason, if your period of stay expire without re-employment, you can not renew the Work VISA.


In addition, if you meet the employment insurance requirements, you can receive unemployment insurance.

Hello Work(公共職業安定所)↓



If you retired due to the company’s reason, you could receive unemployment benefits within about 1 month. On the other hand, if you retired due to self-convenience or if you are fired by your own responsibility, you will receive it after 3 months.


Required documents for receiving unemployment benefits are


Proof of separation from employment(雇用保険被保険者離職票)

employment insurance certificate(雇用保険被保険者証)

Employment insurance insured person’s card received from the company

Residence card

Face Photo



For more information of Unemployment Insurance Benefit



While you receive the Unemployment Insurance Benefit, you need to continue job hunting and go to Hello Work once every four weeks.


Basically, Work VISA is not allowed to do the part time job.  but in the case of retirement due to company reasons, you could do part-time job.

If you would like to do it, apply ” activity other than those permitted by the status of residence previously granted”.


Application for permission to engage in an activity other than those permitted by the status of residence previously granted





Latest article 10 reviews

20/07/2021What should you do when you leave the company.

16/07/2021Divorced from or lost Japanese spouse.

16/07/2021What should you do when you temporarily go back to your country.

15/07/2021Possibility of family members staying in Japan under the Specified Skilled Worker VISA

14/07/2021When you lost your residence card.

09/07/2021Working Holiday Japan

03/06/2021Naturalization (Get the Japanese citizenship)

10/02/2021Second-hand Dealer License

02/02/2021Highly Skilled Professional VISA

09/09/2020Security Guard required

View a full List