Highly Skilled Professional VISA


What is this?

Highly Skilled Professional VISA will be granted to foreign people who have cleared the standards established by the Ministry of Justice.

Compared to other VISA, various preferential treatments are provided.


Privileges for Highly Skilled Professional VISA

Always 5 years duration of stay will be granted.

Permanent residence permit requirements will be moderated.

Your partner will be able to work as well.

You will be able to accompany your parents under certain conditions.

You will also be able to accompany a domestic servant under certain conditions.

You will be given preferential treatment for the Procedures of Immigration and Residence.

and other



There are 3 types of this VISA,

Each visa has a list of points , and you need to earn over 70 points for getting this VISA.

Also There are Minimum annual income standards.

For getting this VISA, you must earn at least 3 million Yen per year.


This time we will show you one of them.

Highly skilled professional visa 2号 ロ

This Highly skilled professional visa comes from The VISA Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services.


These are the points table below.


Educational Background

・ Ph.D. (Excluding Professional Degrees)

  30 points

・ Professional degree in Business Administration


・ Master’s degree or Professional Degree


・ Those who have graduated from a university or received an education equivalent to university (excluding Doctorate or Master’s degree) )


・ Those who have a Doctorate, Master’s degree or professional degree in multiple fields



Career(Practical experience related to the work to be engaged)

Over 10years                                                                                                                                                     20points

Over 7years                                                                                                                                           15points

Over 5years                                                                                                                                                        10points

Over 3years                                                                                                                                                         3points


Age and Annual Income

(As shown in the table below, points are awarded according to age and annual income)

~age 29 ~ age 34 ~ age 39 age 40~
10 million Yen (per year) 40 40 40 40
9 Million Yen 35 35 35 35
8 Million Yen 30 30 30 30
7 Million Yen 25 25 25
6 Million Yen 20 20 20
5 Million Yen 15 15
4 Million Yen 10


Age (at the time of application)

Until age 29                                                                                                                                             15 points

Until age 34                                                                                                                                             10points

Until age 34                                                                                                                                               5 points




  1. Research Achievements

Inventions of patents


Engaged in research receiving subsidies, competitive funds, etc. from foreign governments at least 3 times


Three or more papers published in academic journals listed in the Academic Papers Database

 15 points

Other research results recognized by the Minister of Justice

   15 points



  1. Qualification

Japanese national qualifications related to the work to be engaged

     5points each



  1. Work for companies that are receiving measures to support innovation


  1. Employment in small and medium-sized enterprises with a ratio of more than 3% in research and research expenses



  1.  Graduated from a Japanese university or completed a graduate course


  1. Holding foreign qualifications related to the job


  1. Degree from a higher education institution in Japan


  1. Those who have obtained the JLP Test N1 (including other Japanese Tests equivalent to JLPT) or graduated from a foreign university majoring in Japanese


  1. Those who have obtained the JLP Test N2 (including other Japanese Tests equivalent to JLPT) (Excluding those who have earned bonus (7) or (8) points.) )


  1. Those who engage in advanced business in growth fields recognized by the Minister of Justice.


  1. Those who have graduated from a university specified by the Minister of Justice in a notification


  1. Those who have completed the training specified by the Minister of Justice in the notification





Latest article 10 reviews

20/07/2021What should you do when you leave the company.

16/07/2021Divorced from or lost Japanese spouse.

16/07/2021What should you do when you temporarily go back to your country.

15/07/2021Possibility of family members staying in Japan under the Specified Skilled Worker VISA

14/07/2021When you lost your residence card.

09/07/2021Working Holiday Japan

03/06/2021Naturalization (Get the Japanese citizenship)

10/02/2021Second-hand Dealer License

02/02/2021Highly Skilled Professional VISA

09/09/2020Security Guard required

View a full List